Call to Artists: Invitation for Solo and 2 Person ShowsThe Hillsborough Arts Council seeks submissions for exhibitions in its art gallery during 2013. The art gallery, in its fourth year of operation, is located on Historic Hillsborough’s main street. Five shows are available as part of the Art Walk during Last Fridays in Hillsborough. The selection committee will either grant a solo exhibition or pair artists. We are interested in a variety of art forms in both two dimensions (painting, drawing, etc.) and three dimensions (sculpture, pottery, etc.).
May 31 (Last Friday) to June 22
June 28 (Last Friday) to July 20
July 26 (Last Friday) to Aug 24
Aug 30 (Last Friday) to Sept 21
Sept 27 (Last Friday) to Oct 19
Opening receptions are held on the Last Friday of each month from 6:00-9:00PM and coincide with the “Last Friday” celebrations.
Friday, April 14th at 4PM
Artists living or who have studios in Orange, Alamance, Chatham, Durham, Caswell, Person or Wake counties are eligible.
- Original works of art, handcrafted by the artist
- Any media representing two or three-dimensional art.
- Work must fit through a 2.5’ x 6’ doorway.
- All works must be of material stable enough to withstand handling and exhibiting, suitably framed and/or prepared for installation.
- Artworks should be for sale and remain on display throughout the duration of the exhibition.
- The HAC will take a 30% commission.
Delivery and Removal of Works
Artists are responsible for hanging their own show and must bring suitable hanging and display materials. The date for installation or set up will be 1-4pm the Wednesday before the “Last Friday” opening date. Dismantling of the exhibition and the removal of works will be the last Saturday of the show between 2:30-4pm or the following Monday by appointment.
Steps Required to Submit a Valid Entry Application
1. Complete the online application form. Before submitting, print out a copy to include in your application package.
2. Download, print out and complete the Image Script PDF.
3. Prepare 5 digital images (1 per piece) on CD (7 inches maximum for longest dimension, 300 dpi). For 3D entries, you may submit one full shot and one detail shot per piece, if desired. Images do not have to represent actual artwork that will be shown in the exhibition. No PowerPoint presentations or other formats please.
4. Prepare a current one-page resume.
5. Enclose $15.00 nonrefundable application fee. Checks should be payable to the Hillsborough Arts Council.
6. This package, to include all above items, must be received in the Hillsborough Arts Council office no later than 4:00PM on Friday, April 12, 2013. Late applications will not be accepted. The mailing address is (please note we have recently moved):
Hillsborough Arts Council
ATTN: Gallery Exhibition Selection Committee
102 North Churton Street
Hillsborough NC 27278
Note: Materials will not be returned. Be sure to make a copy for your files. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
The Hillsborough Arts Council Exhibition Selection Committee will notify selected artists via email or telephone by Friday, April 26, 2013.
The Arts Council gallery is operated by a small group of volunteers. We ask that each selected artist volunteer to work at least two 4-hour shifts of gallery sitting during their exhibit period, if possible. The Gallery hours are currently Wed-Sat 12:00-4:00PM. Artists are responsible for their reception food and drinks.
Click Here to Online Application
Rights and Conditions
The Hillsborough Arts Council reserves the right to photograph and reproduce artwork accepted for exhibition for publicity and educational purposes. Submission of materials for consideration constitutes an agreement on the part of the artist to the conditions set forth by the submission guidelines and requirements. The HAC will take all care and precaution of works of art submitted for these exhibitions. At this time the HAC does not carry liability insurance to cover damage to or theft of artworks. Insurance of the artworks will be the responsibility of the artist.
click here for a listing of other opportunities to exhibit in the area
The Hillsborough Arts Council is a volunteer non-profit 501(c)(3) organization