Deadline to Apply - Nov. 15, 2022
Application Fee - $5.00
Participation Fee (if approved) - $45.00
We are looking for 12 artists offering high quality, original, handmade, winter-themed work to participate in the first Solstice Market at this year's Solstice Lantern Walk in Hillsborough, NC! Learn more about Hillsborough's Solstice Lantern Walk here.
Solstice Lantern Walk is one of HAC's most beloved public events, with expected participation ranging from 2-4k visitors. This is a nondenominational, winter-themed event, celebrating creativity and community, shining light into the darker, colder months toward warmer, brighter days ahead together. This audience will most appreciate gift-able, affordable, easy to transport work.
Solstice Lantern Walk and the Solstice Market are designed to be inclusive and welcoming to all cultures/religions, and we are looking for artists who compliment that experience.
Solstice Market will take place Solstice evening, Wednesday, December 21, 2022, 4:30-7:30 PM, under Hillsborough's Farmers Market Pavilion. The market will represent both before and after lantern walk celebrations, with the heaviest foot traffic occurring before the walk, 4:30-sundown (5:45 PM), and after the walk, 6:30-7:30 PM.
In addition to local artists, Solstice Market will feature themed food & (nonalcoholic) beverage vendors, live music, and more!
Because of the limited number of artists featured, this will be a heavily curated market. We will only be able to accept a limited number of artists per medium.
This is an excellent market for both emerging and established artists.
Artists are invited to apply by Nov. 15, 2022!
Examples of Eligible Mediums:
Textiles + Fiber
Important Notes (Please read carefully) -
- The application below is for eligibility to participate in the 2022 Solstice Market on Wednesday, December 21, 2022, 4:30-7:30 PM.
- Artists offering high quality, original, handmade, (nondenominational) winter-themed work are invited to apply.
- Because of the size and curation of this market, the fee to apply is $5.00. Deadline to apply is Nov. 15, 2022. Once approved, the fee to participate and secure your spot in the market is $45.00.
- Applications will be reviewed for the upcoming market by Nov. 21, 2022 by a panel of experienced artists and market professionals.
- Submitting this application does not guarantee you a spot in a market. Once reviewed, if your application is approved, you will receive notification via email and be provided a portal to submit the payment to secure your spot.
- Artists will be under the Hillsborough's Farmers Market Pavilion. Each artist will have an 8'x8' station and dedicated parking space.
- The market will be covered and lit, but we cannot guarantee access to wifi or dedicated electricity. If providing a mobile payment option, we recommend bringing a battery-powered POS with offline processing or a mobile hotspot.
- Vendors must provide tables and any additional supplies needed, including weather protection (tarps, coverings, etc.) necessary to protect your station in the event of light rain.
- Hillsborough Arts Council events are rain-or-shine, barring severe or dangerous conditions (high winds, excess rain that would cause flood, severe thunderstorms projected for the duration of the event, or other prohibitive conditions that could risk the safety of artists and participants). If cancellation is necessary, we will notify artists and the public via email and social media by 12 PM on event day.
- Limited assistance will be available on-site during market hours. Be prepared to setup/break down and maintain your booth independently. We highly encourage bringing a friend or family member to help maintain presence at your booth.
- Artists are required to have representation at their booth at all times. HAC is not responsible for any artwork, supplies, or other items left unattended in your booth or on event grounds.
- Artists are required to remit sales tax and comply with all federal, state, and local guidelines applicable to the sale of their work at Solstice Market.
- We ask that all participants are mindful and respectful to other artists, arts programming occurring in tandem with the market, and the community at all times. Anyone disrupting the quality and nature of the event will be asked to leave. HAC reserves the right to make changes to the Solstice Market at any time, if activity is no longer aligned with the nature of this community event or supportive to our mission.
- By submitting to this form, you agree to indemnify and hold harmless all entities associated with the Hillsborough Arts Council from any and all demands, expenses, fees, fines, penalties, suits, proceedings, actions and causes of action of any and every kind and naturing arising, or growing out of, or in any way connected with participation in an HAC Vendor Market.
You can expect to hear back from us about the status of your application by Nov. 21, 2022.
We are a very small team, so please be patient and keep an eye on your inbox to hear back on the status of your application.
Once we have our pool of participating artists, you will receive further communications via email detailing all day-of market logistics.
Equal Opportunity Statement -
HAC is committed to a policy of non-discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, creed, religion, ancestry, national origin, age, disability, gender preference, marital status, or political affiliation in all programming and employment. We are committed to providing equal access for all visitors and participants. Those unable to comply with the application requirements listed above because of a disability should contact us via email at email@example.com.